The Italian Association for Sustainability Science (IASS, Associazione Italiana per la Scienza della Sostenibilità) is a scientific association gathering scientists, educators, experts and practitioners, established in 2013. It promotes inter and transdisciplinary debate and collaboration among disciplines and actors in order to jointly find solutions that help us initiate, support and scientifically accompany the transformation to sustainable development.
IASS is connected with the International Society of Sustainability Science and the International Conferences on Sustainability Science (ICSS), the World Organization for Systems and Cybernetics, and other Networks on ESD and Sustainable Place Shaping.
IASS is actively involved in promoting development of ESD in Italy through several actions:
- Implementation of training and reflection processes with teachers and students aimed to investigate and reflect on the role of science for a sustainable future (e.g. at Expo Milano in 2015 in collaboration with the International School of Knowledge, Innovation, Policies and Territorial Practices for the United Nations Millennium Platform; at EARTH DAY and other local and regional initiatives)
- Participation to the Scientific Committee of the Italian UNESCO National Committee for ESD (CNESAgenda20230), contributing to the definition and promotion of its national initiatives
- Initiatives with schools, universities and NGOs aimed to promote the values and visions of a sustainable society in all educational processes (formal, non- formal, informal)
- Development and assessment of ESD competences for educators and teachers
- Organisation of workshop and conferences aimed to discuss models and approaches of knowledge co-creation and social learning for the implementation of Agenda 2030
Other fields in which IASS is engaged are: “Transforming Assessment & Evaluation” (Global SDGs Transformation Forum); designing and co-producing research and action together with representatives of the scientific community as well as of politics, industry and civil society; Valorisation of the Agro-cultural Heritage for Sustainability; Tobitate Young Ambassador Programme (capacity building programme for sustainable development financed by Japanese Ministry of Research and Education)