- Suggested duration: 10 mins
- Technique used: Simulation
- Materials required: None
- Aim of activity: To illustrate how things can just emerge and that what emerges can influence other things and cause change
- Underpinning components: UC1.2a; UC1.2b
- Connection with other competences: Action; Futures
Whole group is asked to simply stand up and wander around without further instructions or explanations.
Eventually things will happen e.g. people will stop and talk, will sit down, will start to protest.
In plenary the group are asked to reflect on what happened e.g. what patterns emerged and what behaviours emerged. This could then lead on to discussions of emergence, autopoiesis and the ripple effect.