- Suggested duration: 45 mins
- Technique used: Small group analysis of material presented
- Materials required: Materials showing different issues that we need to be aware of, e.g.
Potential research bias/agenda due to funding source/ organisational links
Different focus depending on media source e.g. tabloid newspaper, serious newspaper, report
Information changes over time as a result of emerging research/developing ideas
Influence that framing can have, i.e. that the way things are presented can potentially guide thinking
- Aim of activity: To encourage learners to be more analytical and critical of materials and to consider bias, focus, motive language, date and framing
- Underpinning components: UC4.2a; UC4.2b
- Connection with other competences: Action
Prepare materials that illustrate the types of issues as mentioned above. Give each small group a set of materials that focuses on one of the above issues. Ask each group to study their materials to see what they notice. Whole group – report back what they have noticed. Plenary discuss the need to be alert and to evaluate sources.