- Suggested duration: 15 mins
- Technique used: A race across a room followed by reflective discussion
- Materials required: Materials that suggest an ‘egg & spoon’ race eg different round objects, spoons of different sizes, forks etc.
- Aim of activity: To highlight the range of decisions people take, how they have imnplications and how some people act according to different values.
- Underpinning components: UC12.2a; UC12.3b
- Connection with other competences: Responsibility
In groups of three ask them to select an implement and an ‘egg’. Gather at a start point. State that ‘All three members need to travel across the room as quickly as possible while keeping their egg in the spoon’ (Imply but do not specify that they should do this one at a time). Run the race a few times and see if anyone complains that it is not fair (e.g. different implements, different ‘eggs’ or someone is cheating). Plenary: discuss reactions and thoughts e.g. thoughts about cheating, equality, rules.